Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Mountains beyond Mountains" Mr. Hayes's Winter Reading

So I have wanted to read this book for a while.  It has received high praise. 
Here is my Post
Mr. Hayes
Mountains beyound Mountains by Tracy Yoder pg 47-58 Chapter 5
Summary: 
This was an amazing story of a child hood. Living in rural south and driving and living in a big bus with a turret or on a boat in a swamp it was amazing.  You can see how this set him up for dealing with the harshness of the environment but it is also amazing the things he has accomplished from such a background.  I also liked that one brother became a wrestler.  It is hard to imagine what he had to say sometimes to girlfriends and the like but it instantly made me want to meet with him and ask him questions.

Questions:  How did he find privacy? It sounds like he may  have gone outside alot but what else in that crowded space.  How close is he with his siblings now?  He is clearly busy but do they remain close after the close quarters of their youth or they now all very different people who only talk or see each other occasionaly.

Quote:He reads a letter from his father that says "I want you to know how proud I am" and PJ was sobbing.  I think this gets to the whole point of the chapter and how he still works to fulfill his fathers pride even though his dad is dead.  This may be why he feels strange when people praise him for what he does.
Comment:  Parts of his child hood sounded great and other horrible.  I loved being able to wander the woods near my house as a kid and those explorations really helped me  become who I am.   I had a house to come back to that was fairly stable and had room for the family.  Living in those cramped conditions would be tough. I often think most house are to big, who needs that much space but living five years in a bus with 6 people would be rough.  It is also strange how family makes us feel great and keeps us humble.  I thought of my grampa as I read the chapter and how many of my decisions were based on what would make him proud.

Predict:  I think the book will keep leading us more into  Farmers psyche through background stories that help understand the choices he makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment